The good news, is that it became one of the turning points in our understanding and compassion for mental health issues. Beyond the laughter, that will be his greatest and most enduring gift to humanity.
There are some startling facts about suicide:
- 10th leading cause of death in the U.S.
- 42,773 Americans die each year
- Over 1 million attempt suicide each year - that is a large city.
- White males account for 70% of all suicides
- Guns are used 50% of the time, suffocation 27% and poisoning 16%
Most people didn't think about this morbid anniversary because we are preoccupied with the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio.
Perhaps this graphic would remind us that it can happen to anyone, anytime:
Be good to each other - and watch out for your family, friends and neighbors.